My travel diary
Sunday, July 31, 2005
 
Saturday, 30th July, 2:15 pm
I am here to see a movie. The movie starts at three but the cinema hall is closed. I ask the Sprakken-english-lady who's selling T-shirts next door whether the show is scheduled today and when the hall will open. Yes. The hall opens at three. And I am hungry.

Now, it is my humble opinion that in terms of culinary preferences, Indian tourists are of two kinds - the traditionalist and the neutralist. The traditionalist looks for the first indian restaurant as soon as he reaches a town (in heidelberg, it's in the end of the first right after the debitel show room) and devours only indian food even when he's in Timbukthu. On the other hand, the neutralist is the universal american dude traveler. He always has his pizza huts (haupstrasse), McDonalds (HaupBahnhoff), starbucks coffee shops where he settles with his mates and has aalo potato french fries. There are very few who would go to a place and try the local dishes (mostly due to vegetarian scares. but even otherwise too!).

So, in an effort to be more Ze-Zerman, I got into the first restaurant I could find. That turned out to be an Irish pub, where I had a chocolate croissant, capuccino and some swiss chocolates (Now, don't ask me how having a french breakfast, italian drink and swiss confectionary in an Irish outlet makes me more german. that's the way it works! I even gave my order in english!). I knew it wouldn't fill me completely - but I hate to conform to sterotypes you know.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Croissants is claimed by Austrians as their invention. hmm..makes it even more interesting considering how much zee zermans love the austrians.
Does this comment make me less french? :)
 
What Austrians? No! Stop, don't break my only link with france!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger