My travel diary
Sunday, July 31, 2005
 
Saturday, 30th July, 3:00 pm
Watching a movie in Europe is like a joint-family movie watching experience in India. There are only ten rows, seventy seats (they even ask you which row want - show ten fingers out of which you can pick one - as if it's going to make a difference). And finally when the movie starts, you realize there are only thirteen people in the hall. So, you don't have people whistling and hooting when the heroine (the lovely lovely reese witherspoon) comes on screen (the kids of these days I tell you!). Watching a movie becomes an intimate personal experience.


Not that "Importance of being earnest" needed such an ambience. I loved the play and I am a great fan of Oscar wilde (one of the wittiest, funniest writers ever!). So, Watching a movie based on the play in english (I can't stand to watch a movie based on wilde's play in german!) with a cast as accomplished as Colin Firth, Reese witherspoon (and the other lady who was the queen in Shakespeare in love) was quite a treat. The movie is an ideal saturday movie. It is lazy, doesn't keep you hooked to the seat, is often funny and is sometimes outrightly stupid. You slip in and out of the movie, laugh for the right jokes and stare at the cinema's halls rest of the time :)

While watching the movie, I remembered that I had learnt the word perambulator for the first time while reading this play (It was part of our curriculum. I remember finding it utterly boring then!) - a very trivial detail but with it comes a truckload of memories of the school, the teacher and a very faint memory of having enacted the play in the classroom (was I jack worthing? I know two guys who can clarify that for me :)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger